Transmission Line Speakers Version 2

My second pair of transmission line speakers.  I used the same principles as version 1, but built for Fostex 206EN drivers, which are much larger diameter, and have a lower resonant frequency.  The meant that overall the speaker enclosure was bigger in every way.

This time I used a bansaw with a guide for straight cuts (still not ideal):


Me checking measurements:


Drawing out a template:


The internal chamber, three folds this time:


The template routed out:


Routing ensues, 22 layers of 18mm ply:


Stacking them up.  It is surprisingly difficult to get it consistent.  Also, I wish I made the edges thicker:


Stacking them up, glued, and clamped:



These were the offcuts:


And there was a mountain of sawdust.  A router really chews through wood!


Marking the driver cut away:


And removed:


The pair:


Stuffing the line with sheeps wool:


Oiling the enclosure brought out a nice striped effect from the ply wood.   I used cheap ply though, so it could have been nicer:




I need to find a photo of the finished product!  They stood 1.2m tall.  Overall, I didn't like the sound at all.  I progressively opened the exit vent on the front of the enclosure and found a sweet spot, and continued cutting away material.  I only realised it was a sweet spot in retrospect!

No comments:

Post a Comment